This is THE season for spooks and we’ve got an awesome list of underground flix guaranteed to satisfy your darkness. These truly hideous finds are broken down into sub categories by type and each category has rating of 1-5 skulls for intensity level. Don’t forget to decom! Fluffy bunnies and old Puppy Bowl videos usually work for us!
- 💀 – You can sit through the whole thing.
- 💀💀 – You might have to look away for some parts.
- 💀💀💀 – You might need to take breaks.
- 💀💀💀💀 – For high horror tolerances.
Horror Comedy – 💀/4 Beyond the basics
Horror comedy is a great middle ground for audiences. We’ve included some campy, classic and new comedy horrors that’ll get at least on gasp out of you.
- Murder Party – ” A man gets a random invitation to a Halloween party, and when he arrives he finds he’s the guest of honor at his very own gut-wrenching murder. “
- Tucker & Dale VS. Evil – ” Two scruffy pals’ backwoods vacation takes a bloody turn when ignorant college students mistake them for a pair of murderous hillbillies. “
- House – ” A schoolgirl and six of her classmates travel to her aunt’s country home, which turns out to be haunted. ”
Slice Of Life – 💀💀/4 Societal glimpses
These films go deeper than their subject matter. With elaborate backstory’s and parallelisms to real life, these are by far my favorite films on the list. Click the links to watch the trailers.
- Society – ” A Beverly Hills teen discovers his parents are part of a gruesome cult for the social elite.”
- Green Room – ” A punk rock band becomes trapped in a secluded venue after finding a scene of violence. For what they saw, the band themselves become targets of violence from a gang who want to eliminate all evidence of the crime. “
- Climax – ” When members of a dance troupe are lured to an empty school, drug-laced sangria causes their jubilant rehearsal to descend into a dark and explosive nightmare as they try to survive the night — and find out who’s responsible — before it’s too late. ”
Look Away – 💀💀💀/4 Visually graphic and visceral
These films are for visual and gore lovers! I am far too squeamish to sit through these. Best of luck darlings.
- Kill List – ” Eight months after a disastrous job in Kiev left him physically and mentally scarred, ex- soldier turned contract killer, Jay, is pressured by his partner, Gal, into taking a new assignment. As they descend into the dark and disturbing world of the contract, Jay begins to unravel once again — his fear and paranoia sending him deep into the heart of darkness.”
- Borderlands– ” After reports of strange phenomena in a rural English church, a team is sent by the Vatican to see if what is happening qualifies as a miracle. At first skeptical, and mistrusted by the locals, they soon learn that they may have found something far darker and more potent than they could possibly have imagined. “
- Baskin – ” While taking a break, a unit of cops receive a distress call over the radio. Directed to an abandoned building in the middle of nowhere, they soon find themselves trapped in a surreal and nightmarish world. ”
Insomnia Inducing – 💀💀💀💀/4 Mind benders
Say goodbye to sweet dreams. These movies might be best watched in daylight. Mostly mind benders with resonance, these films are the most intense on the horror scale.
- Creep – “Aaron answers an online ad and drives to a stranger’s house to film him for the day. The man wants to make a movie for his unborn child, but his requests become more bizarre as the day goes along. ”
- Who Can Kill A Child – ” A couple of English tourists arrive on an island where all the children have gone crazy and are murdering the adults. “
- Headcount – ” During a weekend getaway to Joshua Tree, a group of teenagers find themselves falling prey to a supernatural creature that targets them to complete a vicious ancient ritual. ”
BONUS ROUND: Anthologies
You made it this far. You deserve a reward. Here’s some epic anthologies that cover every types of horror. If you haven’t seen ‘ABC’s Of Death’ definitely watch that first!
- ABC’s Of Death – ” An anthology of stories helmed by more than two dozen directors details 26 ways to die, each corresponding to a different letter of the alphabet. ” 💀💀💀💀/4
- VHS – ” Four thugs who make money putting their violent antics online are hired to steal a VHS tape from a spooky old house. However, things take a turn for the worse when they find a dead pensioner and dozens more tapes. ” 💀💀/4
- XX – Made by 4 female filmmakers with four horrific tales of terror. In “The Box,” a boy (Peter DaCunha) starts to display strange behavior after looking inside a mysterious gift box. In “The Birthday Party,” a woman (Melanie Lynskey) refuses to let an untimely death ruin her son’s bash. In “Don’t Fall,” an innocent camping trip turns deadly, and in “Her Only Living Son,” a mother (Christina Kirk) must deal with the child from hell. 💀💀💀/4
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.